Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Dove Meat?!!

Wow, it has been a week since I last posted, I guess with the holiday weekend I just lost track of time. Hope you all had a good vacation. My hubby went hunting and took my DD with him on Sat, and Sun. It is DOVE season in Arizona. I've never had Dove before. I guess I will in the next couple of weeks as hubby is a very accomplished Dove Hunter. I was successful in avoiding anything to do with the birds that were acquired, however DH told me he will cook them up next weekend..and guess what! Dove is low carb and low fat, whoooopeeee! I will give a full report, I'm a bit nervous about this, but I'm game to try...ha ha...get it...game, game bird...ok well I tried to add a little humor to your day.

Hubby had gotten down 42 pounds and I could no longer deny him his requested "reward", which was a Mexican meal, so we set the day for Friday Sept 1st. We prepared by deciding what we were going to order, he wants a Marylou. We agree to split it and no more than one basket of chips. We both took some carb blockers (block up to 40 carbs) 1/2 hour before we left for the restaurant. I also looked up on fitday some of the things I was expecting to eat so I could figure out how badly I was going to blow my diet. Well, I found out that one chip was 1 carb! HOLY COW! One 16" Tortilla is 53 carbs! I know that the meat and red sauce is actually very little, maybe 1 carb and the Cheese will be 1 carb also. So to split this meal is 27 carbs + 1 for EACH CHIP! I've been staying below 10 carbs a day, and I'm going to eat twice that in one meal! WELL, off we went to Manuels. We got seated and of course we knew what we were going to have so we ordered right away and they brought our chips. Somewhere along the line I decided I was going to have no more than 4 chips. So DH takes the first chip and I teased him a bit about how he was feeling getting ready to eat it. We were SALIVATING! Really...the anticipation of the tastes were amazing! I took a Chip and broke it up into a few pieces to make it seem like more. We tried to eat them slowly and enjoy them. I tried not to bring up the fact that I check out the carb counts on the chips, but I couldn't help it, and spoiled a little of DH's fun I think. We did pretty good, we didn't finish the basket and I stuck to my four chips. Lunch was served, they had cut the Marylou into four pieces so DH and I each took a 1/4 and again savored the flavors. We also had a side of Refried Beans as kind of a what the heck move. You know what... DH and I could barely finish our 1/4 pieces. I got so full that I ended up not even eating the Tortilla except for a few bites. I was pleased with our lunch and felt good that I didn't over do it. As a result I didn't gain any weight from it! YEAH for Carb blockers!!

So the weight loss has continued and I am down to 208! Pound by pound I'm getting there. I've averaged about 20lbs a month. If I can keep this up I should see about 150 by Christmas. I WOULD SO LOVE THAT, but I know it is unrealistic. The weight loss will get harder as I continue, and the less you weigh, the harder to loose weight.

I did do some research on the Tuna issue. I LOVE TUNA, but "they" do not recommend you eat more than 1 to 2 cans a week so I stopped. It's so sad, It made me so happy for the week I was tuna dependent. I am trying canned crab to see if I would like it the same and I don't. Eggs are great for the morning but I need a staple fall back for lunch and I don't want to do too much lunch meat because it has a lot of salt it in, or at least the ones I've tried taste really salty.

Well anyone that is doing a low carb diet know that sometimes it's low in fiber too and that can lead to some "potty problems". We did experience this a little and while at the health food store mentioned it to my friend health food store clerk. She was quick to direct us to Magnesium. She said it actually helps the absorption of Calcium and basically...it makes you go. We bought it and have no complains since. I've been feeling very regular and I love this stuff. Way more gentle than the Oxypowder which had me going 13 times before noon one day, of course that is suppose to be a cleaning.
Well, that is all today. I'm please with my progress and will keep going forward. Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love your blogs!!!! you are so funny and doing so well. I think the key is really thinking about everything you eat. I didn't think about what I ate and as a result am about a hundred pounds overweight. now I am being so careful with everything and am losing too. Keep up the great work! Oh, one more thing - what is a Marylou? haha - but I do want to know!!

chickycola said...

Anonymous,
Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying it, I like writing it. A Marylou is kind of like a Quesadilla only it has the meat from a "Red Burro" in it along with Cheese. Love it! But, that Tortilla is a killer on carbs!